How it works
It’s simple: quiz participants pay an entry fee, usually $5 or $10, that is determined in advance by the nonprofit. One entry fee per team goes into a cash purse for the winners; the rest goes to the cause at hand.
Some hypothetical math: say there’s 20 teams of six players, each paying $5 a head; that’s $600. Of that, $100 goes to the winning team and the rest to the cause. It’s not USA for Africa, but keep in mind that many of our venues hold considerably more than 20 teams and… it’s a lot of fun, and no Kenny Loggins solos are required! Some savvy nonprofits have gotten matching grants from institutional donors, raising even more.
Upcoming & Recent Quizzes for a Cause
|Cause||Venue||Date & Time|
|BLRR for Mental Health & Food Support|
The money raised is going to link people to and pay for ongoing mental health services. We will also be partnering with Colored Girls Bike Too and other community members and orgs to ensure folks in the community have access to fresh foods.
|Thin Man Brewery|
Resurgence Brewing Company
see venue page for time
|He She Ze and We – Benefiting Stonewall Sports Richmond|
The money raised is going Towards multiple local LGBTQIA+ non-profits to help serve the needs of our community.
|Vasen Brewing Company||5/19/22|
|Children’s Grief Center of NM|
The money raised allows us to provide our support groups, workshops and other programs at no cost to grieving children, young people and adults.
|Lizard Tail Brewing (Industrial)||5/19/22|
|Walk to End Alzheimer’s|
Most of the money raised stays local. About 80% of the funds raised goes towards Alzheimer’s disease care, support, research, awareness, and advocacy.
|Tavern at St. Michael’s Square||5/22/22|
|American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics|
The money is going towards supporting the University of Utah Aerospace Club, an AIAA student chapter. We are looking for donations to fund their project for the Spaceport America Cup, the world’s largest intercollegiate rocket competition.
|Level Crossing Brewing||5/23/22|
|Band of Angels|
2022 Rockstar Fundraising Campaign – The goal is to fundraise $2,500 by July. The event itself hopes to fundraise close to $100,000 to provide children with access to music education.
|Bar K Dog Bar||5/24/22|
|Austin DSA benefiting Texas Abortion Fund Drive|
Donations will go towards getting Texans access to safe abortions, with all the different costs and logistics that entails. In Texas alone, we have 10 abortion funds working together with the 60+ other funds in the country, all assisting folks in navigating barriers to care, largely on a volunteer basis.
|The Butterfly Bar @ The VORTEX||5/24/22|
|NALC Sunshine Branch 504 benefitting the Muscular Dystrophy Association|
Donations will go towards: Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) – Everyday children are born with muscular dystrophy; adults are diagnosed with ALS and other life-threatening diseases that take away their most basic freedoms. Our team is raising money to help MDA fight back!
|Lizard Tail Brewing||6/16/22|
|Care Partners Hospice & Palliative Care|
Donations will go towards the continual development of our caregiver support groups, making sure our community has access to educational materials regarding palliative care and end-of-life decisions, and the charitable cases we are able to take on each year.
|Gigantic Brewing Co||6/19/22|
|Energy Outreach Colorado|
The money raised is going towards ensuring that Coloradans can afford their energy needs
|Oasis Brewing Company||6/23/22|
|The Jet Foundation|
The money is going towards our current Cancer patients and their families who need support throughout this difficult season of their life. The Jet Foundation, gives 100% of donations directly to our family and patients in need of helping with medical bills and other health resources.
|Past: Ukraine: IRC & Hope for Ukraine|
We’re so proud to announce that we raised over $17,200 at 60+ venues!
|Past: SAVA Center|
The money raised will go directly towards services to survivors of sexual violence in our community and to our prevention education efforts for youth ages 6-12.
|Past: Pikes Peak Suicide Prevention|
The money raised will help ensure that we can continue to offer all of our services at NO COST to the participant. Their contributions will help save lives.
|Public House at the Alexander||4/28/22|
|Past: West Brooklyn Waterfront Mutual Aid|
The money raised is going towards groceries for our vulnerable neighbors and neighbors in need so that everyone has enough to eat.
|House of Wax @ Alamo Draft House||5/9/22|
A better way to host a fundraiser
In addition to raising funds, nonprofits will have the opportunity to distribute literature and educate people about their mission, both at the event itself and through Geeks Who Drink’s website, email list and social media network.
What People are Saying..
“The event last night was an awesome success – Thank you so much for making this possible Our host, Derek, was very helpful, professional and friendly – As were all the venue staff I interacted with. We absolutely loved this collaboration – And would very much like to make it a staple of our annual events program. Thank you so much for you support of Pike’s Peak Suicide Prevention!“
Pike’s Peak Suicide Prevention
The 1010 Project has run several quiz nights with Geeks Who Drink because they have proven to be very successful in bringing people together in an entertaining environment to promote our mission and fundraising.”
The 1010 Project
Participating Nonprofits include:
Simple Terms for Participation
- Quiz For a Cause must be held at a regularly scheduled GWD quiz venue. GWD will accommodate venue requests when possible, but the ultimate decision is ours. Please see our schedule for where and when we quiz.
- The content of the quiz itself is the regular material for that evening. We cannot provide special content. Should you wish to have an event with custom content, please look at our Private Events.
- The participating nonprofit must commit to bringing at least 25 people to the event, in addition to our regular attendees. A good mix of “quizzers” and “supporters” will make everyone excited to pull out their wallets and make a donation.
- The participating nonprofit must provide a staff member to collect entry fees, distribute the winnings and, if necessary, assist our quizmaster in scoring and team picture taking.
- The nonprofit should also provide some literature about the nature of the Quiz For a Cause, explaining to players why they should pay for a quiz they normally play for free.
- Players who do not wish to pay an entry fee must be allowed to play the quiz, though they will not be eligible to win the cash purse.
- GWD is NOT responsible for promoting the event, though we will certainly assist to a reasonable extent.
- Our Quiz For a Cause program is designed for non-profits who are raising money for medical programs, social changes, or organizations benefiting those in need- so while we do work with just about any non-profit, it is not meant for sports teams, PTAs, political organizations, or any group affiliated with a religion like a church, school or club (including atheists). We are happy to work with religious groups who raise money for non-denominational and non-political causes.
You may also reach out to Quiz For A Cause Coordinator Stefani Thomas, at email@example.com with any questions.