A better way to host a fundraiser
In addition to raising funds, nonprofits will have the opportunity to distribute literature and educate people about their mission, both at the event itself and through Geeks Who Drink’s website, email list and social media network.
The 1010 Project has run several quiz nights with Geeks Who Drink because they have proven to be very successful in bringing people together in an entertaining environment to promote our mission and fundraising.
The 1010 Project
Participating Nonprofits Include
How it works
It’s simple: quiz participants pay an entry fee, usually $5 or $10, that is determined in advance by the nonprofit. One entry fee per team goes into a cash purse for the winners; the rest goes to the cause at hand.
Some hypothetical math: say there’s 20 teams of six players, each paying $5 a head; that’s $600. Of that, $100 goes to the winning team and the rest to the cause. It’s not USA for Africa, but keep in mind that many of our venues hold considerably more than 20 teams and… it’s a lot of fun, and no Kenny Loggins solos are required! Some savvy nonprofits have gotten matching grants from institutional donors, raising even more.
Simple Terms for Participation
- Quiz For a Cause must be held at a regularly scheduled GWD quiz venue. GWD will accommodate venue requests when possible, but the ultimate decision is ours. Please see our schedule for where and when we quiz.
- The content of the quiz itself is the regular material for that evening. We cannot provide special content. Should you wish to have an event with custom content, please look at our Private Events.
- The participating nonprofit must commit to bringing at least 25 people to the event, in addition to our regular attendees. A good mix of “quizzers” and “supporters” will make everyone excited to pull out their wallets and make a donation.
- The participating nonprofit must provide a staff member to collect entry fees, distribute the winnings and, if necessary, assist our quizmaster in scoring and team picture taking.
- The nonprofit should also provide some literature about the nature of the Quiz For a Cause, explaining to players why they should pay for a quiz they normally play for free.
- Players who do not wish to pay an entry fee must be allowed to play the quiz, though they will not be eligible to win the cash purse.
- GWD is NOT responsible for promoting the event, though we will certainly assist to a reasonable extent.
- Our Quiz For a Cause program is designed for non-profits who are raising money for medical programs, social changes, or organizations benefiting those in need- so while we do work with just about any non-profit, it is not meant for sports teams, PTAs, political organizations, or any group affiliated with a religion like a church, school or club (including atheists). We are happy to work with religious groups who raise money for non-denominational and non-political causes.
You may also reach out to Quiz For A Cause Coordinator Stefani Thomas, at
firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.