Saturday, February 7th, 2015
Isleta Resort & Casino
Recap by Score-O-Matt-ic 9001 Series QUIZBOT
Without further adieu, let's break down Geek Bowl 009 to it's trace elements and deoxyribonucleic structure!
Want to relive the magic? There is a veritable SHIT TON of pictures on our Facebook page. You can find them here! We'll put some more videos and stuff up as we get them, but these should tide you over for a bit.
You remember the rounds, but you didn't know the stats. I'll give you a little of both.
Round 1 - Duking It Out in the Duke City
A round about Dukes and the Duke City (that would Albuquerque if you missed it). Lots of Dukes. Hazzard. Nukem. Kryz...krzzyz...the one who coaches the Blue Devils. Yeah, DUKES.
Round 1 averaged 5 pts. Ten teams had a perfect score, including your winners Independence Hall & Oates. You second place team, The Mothras of Retention only got 6 pts. right in this round. That means that would have won Geek Bowl IX if they did perfect on this Round. I realize that could be a fact for any round, but it's extra fun being in Round 1. Two teams only got 1 pt.
Round 2 - Bechdel Tested, Mother Approved
The Bechdel Test, named after cartoonist Alison Bechdel, can spot when two women are talking to each other on a subject that isn't a dude. All all of the songs performed were pretty spot-on by The Dan Band. I felt like they were singing to me. If I was a woman, and they were women, and they were singing about non-women. It's was magic.
Round 2 averaged 12 pts. It only had two perfect 16 pt. scores: The Mothras of Retention and California Love from El Segundo. California Love ended in 64th place, but at least you had Round 2! 69% of teams jokered Round 2. Thirty teams did so with at least 14 pts. in Round 2. The points were likely lost in the specific wordings of songs: "MAN, I Feel Like a Woman" and "Independent WomEN". One team got 1 pt. total, and everyone else had at least 5 pts.
Round 3 - Red or Green?
New Mexico is the first state to adopt a state question. It refers to the chile. Not chili, you savages. You get one or the other, or go Christmas style and get a little to both. For me, I'm partial to the green, but it's not fond of me. I won't go into detail.
Round 3 averaged 6 pts., which is pretty good considering it was a 50/50 Round, and it's FREAKIN' GEEK BOWL! Six teams had a perfect 8 pts. on Round 3. Two of them came from Albuquerque, so that's good they did well on a Round based on their state question. Well, loosely based. Thirty-five teams got at least 7 pts. Seven teams couldn't match up to the odd in their favor and hit less than 4 pts. One of them had only 2 pts. At least everyone only got 1 pt? Yeah. Sure.
Round 4 - The World According to LARP
If you didn't pick up your melted face from the awesomeness of Round 2 by now, then it was just going to get melted again. LARP - Live Action Role Playing for the non-geeks (What are you doing at Geek Bowl, then?). Some cosplay. Some Knights battling Wizards and Paladins. Old school. REALLY old school. They we turn it up to some Ninja action like most of my flatulence: silent by deadly. The roof fell off from a freakin' Klingon she-wolf that made the Duras sisters looks like the Brady Bunch girls (Lursa! Lursa! Lursa!). You want more? BRO-NY. Magic. Pure magic. Hullk came in to Smash, and most of you got the joke when you realized that was the simple answer to his question. This crazy-ass Robot came out to take down the Hulk (without any Hulk Bustin' armor, I might add). Oh right, that was ME! Then my Mom picked me up. This was hopefully a fun round to watch, because it was FUN AS HELL to put on.
Independence Hall & Oates jokered this round with a perfect 15 pts. In fact, only FOUR teams jokered this round. Do Shut Up from ABQ, who ended up in 5th place, also had a perfect 15 pt. score. The other five perfect scores should have jokered this round as is was their highest round of the night. Lucky for them, it wouldn't have put them in a money-making place. Forty teams couldn't get over a single digit score.
Round 5 - LandMark Wahlberg
Our visual round! You like celebrities and famous people, and cool places to visit, so why not have both together? Kanye West Point? He'd let you finish, if you don't wash out. Yo-Yo Machu Picchu? Trade in your pan flute for a cello. Eat your heart out, Zamfir! You had to stretch your mind on some of these, and stretch you DID.
Round 5 averaged 5 pts. Twenty-three perfect scores came out of Round 5, including the top two finishing teams. Fourteen teams got ZERO points on this round. One of them ended up in 69th place, and tied with another team who had 7 pts. on the round and ALSO was is 69th place.
Round 6 - The Round You and Your Sister Have Been Waiting For
Yeah, it's a round on incest'n'stuff. It's Geek Bowl! What do you want?
Round 6 averaged 5 pts. We saw twelve perfect scores. We also saw a single team with zero points, but since they got a zero on Round 5, too, it's not a surprise. It may be best that you didn't all ace an entire round on incest. Just sayin'.
Round 7 - Bust a Movie
A simple premise: name the movie from the dance scene. You weren't prepared for Keshet Dance Company, though. This was an experience you'll never have again. I hope you were there. You can relive some of it from this video they posted:
Round 7 averaged about 6.5 pts. It was our easiest round of the night with forty teams having a perfect 8 pt. score, and the highest round average. More than half of you had at least 7 pts. right on this round. I'll guess that the one you missed most was the "500 Days of Summer" dance.
Round 8 - Random Knowledge
It was random, and full of knowledge. You should know the drill by now, no?
Round 8 averaged 6 pts. The highest score reached was 13 pts. by East Coast Super Sound Quiz of Today!. Another handful had 11 pts., and an even smaller amount had 10 pts. This was (intentionally) one tough round. Only ten teams totals made it into double digit scores.
More Fun Facts
- Independence Hall & Oates and Do Shut Up both had a perfect round streak from Round 4 to Round 7
- Most of the teams in the money each had a round that stood out and hurt more than the others. I'd hazard to say that if they did better in these, they may have placed higher. Here's that breakdown:
Independence Hall & Oates - Round 3 - 6 pts. scored
The Mothras of Retention - Round 1 - 6 pts. scored
Thanks Obama - Round 6 - 6 pts. scored
Our Steak Puns are a Rare Medium Well Done - No obvious rounds...flanked...you! GET IT?!
Do Shut Up - Round 3 - 6 pts. scored
- Spellchecker STILL really doesn't like the word "Jokered".
Did you Geek Bowl? I sure Geek Bowl.
Until NEXT YEAR, humans!
1. Independence Hall & Oates - 92 - Philadelphia
2. The Mothras Of Retention - 91 - Denver
3. Our Steak Puns are a Rare Medium Well Done - 90 - Albuquerque (3rd place via tiebreaker question)
4. Thanks Obama - 90 - Little Rock
5. East Coast Super Sound Quiz of Today! - 89 - Durham (5th place via tiebreaker question)
6. Do Shut Up - 89 - Albuquerque7. Anal Sunshine When She's Gone - 88 - Colorado Springs
7. Awkward Family Gangbang Photos - 88 - Fort Worth
9. N.W.Eh? - 86 - Vancouver
9. Team of Enchantment - 86 - Las Vegas
11. Whiskey Quizness - 85 - Jersey City
12. Austin Titty Limits - 84 - Culver City
12. I Can't Believe It's Not Rutter - 84 - Denver
12. Smells like Geek Spirit - 84 - Bellevue
15. Bacon Kosher Bacon - 83 - Dallas
15. Jones Sais Quoi - 83 - Colorado Springs
15. MacGuffin's McMuffins - 83 - Boulder
15. Methlab for Cutie - 83 - Austin
19. Ass Crack Master Blaster Lazer Blazers 420 - 82 - Denver
19. The Piccadilly Twitz - 82 - Denver
21. Hobopocalypse - 81 - Albuquerque
22. Mario Speedwagon - 80 - San Diego
22. The Suppressed Prophecies of T. Ruxpin - 80 - Albuquerque
24. Bing Bong Chong - 79 - Salt Lake City
24. Juggernaughty By Nature - 79 - Salt Lake City
24. The Velvet Underpants - 79 - Bellevue
27. So's Your Face - 78 - Albuquerque
27. The Betas 2.0 - 78 - Coloardo Springs
29. 45 Characters?! We only have 6 on our team. - 77 - Austin
29. I Bent My Wookie - 77 - Santa Fe
29. Must've taken a wrong turn near Albuquerque - 77 - Colorado Springs
29. The Dan Brown Tattoos - 77 - Albuquerque
29. The Guesstapo - 77 - Salt Lake City
34. Pirate Geeks... Why the rum is always gone - 76 - Albuquerque
35. Classy as Fuck (Albuquerque Chapter) - 75 - Albuquerque
35. Luv Fist - 75 - Austin
35. Pick a Fucking Team Name, Grady - 75 - Austin
35. Terminator Porn: Fucking Machines Everywhere - 75 - Edmonds
39. Fear Boner - 74 - Albuquerque
39. Force Choking the Chicken - 74 - Tacoma
39. Okay, fine Joss is my boyfriend, Thranduil is yours. - 74 - Albuquerque
39. We're with the Band - 74 - Colorado Springs
43. Chazberg, You're Our Hero - 73 - Santa Fe
43. Double Entendre the Giant - 73 - Albuquerque
43. Everything's Coming Up Milhouse! - 73 - Kalamazoo
43. Methampheta-lettuce - 73 - Denver
43. Octopodes - 73 - Socorro
48. A Beached Whale and A Bleached Asshole - 72 - Albuquerque
48. J & T Slumpnstuf - 72 - Denver
48. Mickey Mao Tse Tung - 72 - Houston
48. Revolution 1680 - 72 - Albuquerque
52. Angela Landsbury is a Whore - 71 - Englewood
52. Captains of Industry - 71 - Rio Rancho
52. Llama glama - 71 - Fort Collins
52. The Hottest Goddess - 71 - Albuquerque
52. The New Originals - 71 - Albuquerque
52. Yippee Ki Yay, Mister Falcon - 71 - Albuquerque
58. Why Aren't Kangaroo Rat Burritos on the Menu? - 70 - Boulder
59. Georgia O'Queefe - 69 - Santa Fe
59. Llama Lords of Science - 69 - Albuquerque
59. The Feral Ducklings - 69 - Albuquerque
59. Turning in 1 year chip for a shot of Geek Bowl Glory - 69 - San Antonio
59. We Might Need to Know That - 69 - Tacoma
64. California Love - 68 - El Segundo
64. Marvel Mistresses and Carlos - 68 - Albuquerque
64. Power to the V - 68 - Kent
64. Yer a Quizzard, Harry - 68 - Albuquerque
64. You're a towel! - 68 - Albuquerque
69. Fisted Sister - 67 - Fort Collins
69. Friends O'Clyde - 67 - Albuquerque
69. New Mexico: Not really new. Not really Mexico. - 67 - Santa Fe
69. Paper, Scissors, Dwayne Johnson - 67 - Chicago
69. Pleasant Mother Pheasant Pluckers - 67 - Lafayette
69. The Bastard Children of Alex Trebek - 67 - Denver
75. I have a stepladder, my real ladder left when I was 5 - 66 - Albuquerque
75. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest '97 - 66 - Fort Collins
75. Susana Martinez's Cheesy Enchilada - 66 - Albuquerque
78. Dingoes Ate Our Team Name - 65 - Albuquerque
78. The Wrath of Chaka Khan - 65 - Colorado Springs
80. Geek Lives Matter - 64 - Albuquerque
80. Sex Hamster - 64 - Denver
80. SoftlySpeakingSanskrit.com presents... - 64 - Albuquerque
80. The Team Formerly Known as Triviva la Revolucion - 64 - Denver
80. Where's Your Hobbit Coat? - 64 - San Antonio
85. It's My Quiz in a Box - 63 - Santa Fe
85. We thought this was speed dating - 63 - Albuquerque
85. Winnie the Poof, Master of Phallic Phrenology - 63 - Denver
88. Do you smell what Dirac is cooking? - 62 - Albuquerque
88. Ewok Sex Tape - 62 - Albuquerque
88. Groove Is In The Heart - 62 - Chicago
88. The Belgian ROFLs - 62 - Tucson
92. Beer Cats - 61 - Norman
92. Hamburglars and the chronic - 61 - Santa Fe
92. unnamed_team_01 - 61 - N/A
95. Michael Bolton Wanderers - 60 - San Antonio
95. Otomota-poop-a - 60 - Albuquerque
97. Arizona: Drier than your mom. - 59 - Tucson
97. Better than a Whitman's Sampler - 59 - Albuquerque
97. In Out Get Grab Bonk - 59 - Santa Fe
97. New Mexi-Puedos - 59 - Albuquerque
101. Free Neckbeard Rides - 58 - Austin
101. More Blank Spaces Than A Taylor Swift Song - 58 - Fort Collins
101. REO-la Speedwagon - 58 - Albuquerque
101. Vagina the original mancave - 58 - Salt Lake City
105. I learned it from watching you - 57 - Santa Fe
106. The Selfies - 56 - Albuquerque
106. Under the Southwest Sky - 56 - Albuquerque
108. Wow Bob Wow - 54 - Albuquerque
109. Little Lebowski Urban Achievers - 53 - Fort Collins
109. The price is wrong, Bitch! - 53 - Santa Fe
111. 37 Photos of Kittens Being Molested By Squirrels - 52 - Albuquerque
111. Laura Bush Killed A Guy - 52 - Santa Fe
113. The Fellatio Five - 51 - Albuquerque
113. Weapons of Mass Reproduction - 51 - Fort Collins
115. Bob Lob Law's Law Blog - 50 - Fort Collins
115. Common Cider - 50 - Fort Collins
115. FLK - 50 - Albuquerque
115. Nippleless Cage - 50 - Albuquerque
119. Bring Cash for Bail - 49 - Denver
119. Immaculate Contraception - 49 - Parker
119. The Arch-Puke Franzia Ferdinand - 49 - Denver
119. Those Girls??!! - 49 - Albuquerque
123. Schnitzengruben 16 - 48 - Santa Fe
124. Gas Station Sushi - 46 - Albuquerque
125. Love Gravy - 43 - Aurora
125. You Look Fat When You Cry - 43 - Frisco
127. Pardon, may I quiz in your Taco? - 42 - Albuquerque
128. Runs With Scissors - 38 - Albuquerque
129. ICUPN - 36 - Aurora
130. Sarah and the Pudding Pops - 32 - Albuquerque
131. Myoclonic Jerks - 31 - Albuquerque
132. Where here for the band and the beer - 30 - Albuquerque
133. Nerdy by Nature - 22 - Broomfield
134. Particle Physics Gives Me a Hadron - 2 - Kansas City
Tickets on Sale December 10th at 6pm MST
Click Here to Purchase Tickets!
Click here for the FAQ and watch the trailer below!