Click here to see a schedule of our upcoming Quiz for a Cause events.
In addition to the money we raised through this event, we were able to talk to people about our organization that we otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet - people who have turned into consistent donors to The Gathering Place. I would recommend Quiz for a Cause to anyone interested in a fun, unique fundraising event.
The Gathering Place
It was a pleasure to work with Geeks Who Drink on our 1st Annual Touchdowns for Tomorrow Trivia Night, featuring players from the Denver Broncos. Geeks Who Drink's professionalism and enthusiasm, as well as their generosity, allowed for the night to be a complete success. We raised $3,500, which isn't too shabby for our first start. Players and fans had an amazing time, and we were featured on the local news! I am hopeful that we can continue to partner together and grow off of this initial success.
Marisa Murgolo (pictured left)
Colorado Youth at Risk
The 1010 Project has run several quiz nights with Geeks Who Drink because they have proven to be very successful in bringing people together in an entertaining environment to promote our mission and fundraise. It has been a fun way to raise awareness about our organization in the local community and advocate on behalf of the global poor and our partners in Kenya.
The 1010 Project
Quiz For a Cause is Geeks Who Drink's standing offer to nonprofits to use our quiz as a tool for fundraising and community outreach. Our rate is a recession proof: $0.00. In addition to raising funds, nonprofits will have the opportunity to distribute literature and educate people about their mission, both at the event itself and through Geeks Who Drink's website, email list and social media network.
A quick explanation on how a pub quiz actually raises funds. It's simple: quiz participants pay an entry fee, usually $5 or $10, that is determined in advance by the nonprofit. One entry fee per team goes into a cash purse for the winners; the rest goes to the cause at hand.
Some hypothetical math: say there's 20 teams of six players, each paying $10 a head; that's $1200. Of that, $200 goes to the winning team and the rest to the cause. It's not USA for Africa, but keep in mind that many of our venues hold considerably more than 20 teams and... it's a lot of fun, and no Kenny Loggins solos are required! Some of our more savvy nonprofits have even gotten matching grants from institutional donors to help make the fundraiser that much better.
We have worked with Geeks Who Drink two years in a row, for various Quiz for a Cause events in collaboration with Sexual Assault Awareness Month. These opportunities are a lot of fun for our staff, board members, volunteers, and community supporters. There is an outreach and public education component to these events, and we have found that the quizmasters are more than happy to share information and promote our organization and its mission. Quiz For a Cause is the perfect combination of fundraising, community outreach, and a great time outside of the office!
Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault
Our conditions are simple:
- Quiz For a Cause must be held at a regularly scheduled GWD quiz venue. GWD will accommodate venue requests when possible, but the ultimate decision is ours. Please see our weekly schedule for where and when we quiz.
- The content of the Quiz is the regular material for that evening. We cannot provide special content. Should you wish to have an event with custom content, please look at our Private Events.
- The participating nonprofit must commit to bringing at least 25 people to the event; otherwise it's just kind of embarrassing
- The participating nonprofit must provide a staff member to collect entry fees, distribute the winnings and, if necessary, assist our quizmaster in scoring.
- The nonprofit must also provide some literature about the nature of the Quiz For a Cause, explaining to players why they should pay for a quiz they normally play for free.
- Players who do not wish to pay an entry fee must be allowed to play the quiz, though they will not be eligible to win the cash purse.
- GWD is NOT responsible for promoting the event, though we will certainly assist to a reasonable extent.
- We're happy to work with religious groups who raise money for non-denominational and non-political causes. However, we're not able to run a Quiz For a Cause if the money goes to fund any group affiliated with a religion like a church, school or club (including atheists).
And that's all you need to know. If it's not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-532-4737 ext. 821.
If you're sold, please fill out the form below: