The Auld Dubliner (Tucson)
800 East University Boulevard
Tucson, AZ 85719
Wednesdays: 8:00 PM
View All Posts
Wednesdays at the Auld Dubliner are always an adventure. Last week we almost had a rumble with the new UofA med students. This week, as I was sitting in my underwear at home preparing the quiz, lightning struck nearby and knocked out power to my whole neighborhood. Since I’m too much of an idiot to have a flashlight handy, I had to feel around my house to find some clothes and my quiz equipment. The trip across town to Quiz was basically a death defying stunt drive. The rain and wind were apocalyptic. There was a guy in an ark full of animals next to me on the road. Even the traffic lights were out. I finally got to the club, and all my quizzers were already sitting there waiting, like nothing happened. No big deal.
So last night we had 2 interesting groups. One was a group of law students. I didn’t understand their team name, Restatement 2nd of Trivia. That’s because I never had much interest in law except for breaking it. However, I must say I much prefer law students to med students. They aren’t nearly as loud, and they play the Quiz instead of disrupting it. The other interesting group was 2 gentlemen who kept answering just about every question correctly, but wouldn’t actually play no matter how many times I told them I would be happy to get them some answer sheets. Oh, well. Maybe next week.
Also, The Streak finally broke last night! The Black Stallions, who have come in second by one point every Quiz night for weeks, even at my other club for the Arrested Development Quiz, finally took 1st Place. And not by one point. They destroyed the competition. On top of that Ryan from the Stallions got the email bonus question and took home a figurine of the patron saint of television. Awesome.
So, what did we learn last night?
- Despite how often I am asked to get a round on sports, you guys don’t know shit about sports. You sure know your bigotry, though.
- Just because the visual round features pictures of naked guys from various movies, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Dick or Big have to be in there.
- Pee Pee’s Big Adventure is not an actual movie. At least not one you can get at your local chain video store.
- Dora the Explorer does not star in movies that show male nudity.
- You can’t cheer for the Trail of Tears.
- Dude Where’s My Car was not the highest grossing film of 1913. And it did not glorify the KKK.
- Fred Phelps prefers to be called “MISTER Asshole”.
- Apparently, as embarrassing as Arizona can be, we still look better than Mississippi.
- There is no state named the Eagles.
- Miley Cyrus is also not a state.
- “Tora Tora Tora” was not a movie about Jewish holy books.
Conan O’Brien once said that his favorite crowd reaction was a disgusted groan that slowly morphs into laughter and applause. I could not agree more. The team names this week got that exact reaction. Holy Massacre, Batman! and my personal favorite, A Coathanger Brings Out The Kid In Me, would have made ol’ Conan proud. Well, maybe not so much.
So, until next time, spread the word. Let’s see if we can get a ridiculous amount of teams in here even before school starts again. Also, go to http://www.facebook.com/GeeksWhoDrinkPubQuizAtAuldDublinerTucson and ‘like’ us. Then check out the pics, tag yourself in them, and leave filthy comments all over the place.