Geeks Who Drink is a free pub quiz. While it is competitive, there is no reason for anyone to go home upset. Let me just throw a few things out there:
- TEAMS OF 6 OR FEWER! There is no exception to this rule. I love it that you all enjoy the quiz so much that you bring multiple teams to my venue. However, it has been brought to my attention that other teams think that’s suspicious. I ask that you make a clear separation of teams, so that: a/ I get to keep my job and b/ I don’t have to automatically take you out of the running for bar tabs. Separate teams, separate tables.
- I’M YOUR QUIZMASTER; DON’T FUCK WITH YOUR QUIZMASTER. That’s right, I’m driving this crazy thing called quiz and it’s your job to enjoy the ride. This means a few things: a/ if you find yourself having to yell over me, while I’m in the middle of reading questions, you’re ruining the ride for others and being rude to your QM b/ I love all of y’all and I welcome your cute little asides throughout quiz, but let’s keep it to a minimum. If you want my job, you can apply for a QM position at geekswhodrink.com, but for now, I have the microphone for a reason.
- REPEATS ARE A PRIVILEDGE, NOT A RIGHT. I’m not just the QM, I’m a geek. I play the quiz at other venues and I understand that sometimes there is quite a bit of noise pollution, which leads to people needing a question or two repeated for clarification. I am more than willing to do this for you. However, when you’re doing things that distract from the quiz, above reasonable bar etiquette, I become less willing to give repeats. Please re-read article 2 and comply.
- FEEDBACK STARTS WITH ME. Geeks Who Drink is in over 200 pubs and restaurants in 21 states. Therefore, while the good geeks at corporate want to hear all about the different quiz happs, it is more efficient to bring any initial questions to my attention first. I promise to handle your questions or concerns in the most diplomatic of ways and if you feel like we didn’t reach a commonplace, by all means, e-mail. It’s very important to me that everyone goes home happy and says, “gee golly, I sure did have fun at pub quiz tonight…”, or something of that nature. Oh, and if you just want to write to corporate to tell them how lovely I am, that’s more than okay, but please, let’s work through other stuff in a more organic way.
- PHONES. I realize that we’ve gotten to know each other and we’re buddies, which means I know my regulars well enough to believe they are not cheating on a free pub quiz. I can’t stop you from reaching into your pocket for your phone to text someone back, real quick, but please, consider how it makes my operation look. I always give the rules at the beginning of quiz and one of them is to refrain from cell phone usage. When a group of newbs rolls into quiz and hears one thing, but sees another, a cycle of bad behavior is encouraged. Save your texting and other phone related items for scoring breaks.
Thanks for reading through. The one thing I will say about quiz last night is that it was disturbing how many of you were able to identify Shake Ya Tailfeather by Nelly.
Go check out our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/GWDElectricLightning