The Canyon's Crown Restaurant & Pub
6958 East Tanque Verde Road
Tucson, AZ 85715
Thursdays: 8:00 PM
View All Posts
Last night we tried two new things, both of which were resounding successes. Theme night challenge resulted in some great North Korea-related team names. I sort of felt like Hugo Chavez tried to ruin it by dying this week, but it turned out well anyway. We had a three-way tie for second place, so we got the chance to try out a new tiebreaker. Instead of dancing or chugging beer, we tried a dart-off. One dart throw, winner take second. Perfect for an English pub.
Deschutes Brewery was in the house last night. These guys have been good to us. Last night they brought us the first keg in Arizona of their new brew, and gave us a third prize to give out. Every dog has its day, so the saying goes. It turns out that that is true, at least in the case of my Quizzers. Last night, Pew! Pew! Pew! won second place for the first time. Congrats to those guys. It’s been a long time coming. And Kim Jong Un Has Some Big Women’s Sunglasses To Fill won not only first place at the Crown, but beat the top team at our rival Bumsted’s. I will get them their Bumsted’s gift certificate next week. Way to go, guys!
So, what did we learn last night?
- There’s nothing like a round on gay porn mixed with math to make a room uncomfortable.
- “The Dougie” was named for 1980’s human beatbox Barack Obama.
- Doug Flutie was also a human beatbox, in addition to being a football player.
- Before writing “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy”, Douglas Adams was an escaped slave and an abolitionist.
- King Arthur was a member of Monty Python.
- Contrary to popular belief, Obama was not our first black President. Frederick Douglass was President between Eisenhower and Kennedy.
- Pink Floyd’s album “The Wall” was released in between lesser known albums “A Game Of Thrones” and “A Storm Of Swords”.
- The new Game Of Thrones book is entitled “A Something Of Something”.
- Tim Drake, Jason Todd, Damian Wayne, and Dick Grayson have all been Mormon superhero porn star Orgasmo.
- Robin Hood was Batman’s sidekick.
- “Debbie Does Kim Jong Il” was a much overlooked film at the Oscars this year.
- One of Beethoven’s most loved piano pieces was “”Chopsticks”.
- The 1980’s country supergroup The Highwaymen included Kanye West, Jay-Z, Drake, and Eminem.
- Oprah murdered Macbeth.
- Colonel Mustard murdered Claudius.
- Sergeant Pepper and B'elanna Torres murdered Count Paris.
OK, that’s it for this week. Until next week, go to the Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Geeks-Who-Drink-Pub-Quiz-At-Canyons-Crown/483388135009881 and tag everybody in the pics, and vote on let me know what you think would be a good theme for team names next week. I’m thinking, gay math, lesser known Clue murders, or how little you care about Game Of Thrones. Cheers!