The Canyon's Crown Restaurant & Pub
6958 East Tanque Verde Road
Tucson, AZ 85715
Thursdays: 8:00 PM
View All Posts
I’d just like to say that I have the greatest venue in the Geeks Who Drink Empire. The Canyon’s Crown wins the gold in every single category. Not that the other venues aren’t great in their own ways, but, the Crown has it all. The Quizzers are awesome people, and they are loyal to the Quiz at the Crown. I think they would take a bullet for me, or at least for the Guinness keg. The food is spectacular. The beer selection is fantastic. The sound system is the best I’ve heard. The staff works their asses off for us. The management is incredibly supportive. We have the cross-town rivalry with Bumsted’s, which is cool more often than not. It’s just the best all-around, and I am such a lucky mofo for having this gig.
We’ve hit the magic numbers of teams, so it looks like next week we should have an official scorekeeper, which will only make it even better, since we will hopefully now get finished by 10 every week and get you all home to whatever it is you do after 10.
So, just a thought… when Island Amy and Caribbean Joe from Club Congress visit us, they always walk out when one of the music rounds that Amy wrote comes around. I know part of that is ethics. Amy and Joe don’t want to appear to be cheating by helping their team identify songs on a round that she wrote. But I’m starting to think that part of it is also Amy leaving out of embarrassment because of her taste in music.
So, what did we learn last night?
- Angus Young would be very sad to know that he died in 1980. That would make the last 32 years he’s been playing in AC/DC very awkward.
- My mom apparently died in 1980 when she was singing for AC/DC as well.
- The Danube River flows so hard through Serbia that it was worth putting Serbia down twice on the list of countries it flows through.
- The Danube River apparently flows from the Black Forest to the Black Sea…through Africa.
- The Modern Olympics have been going on for a long time, since this was the MIV Olympiad. (1,004th) That means they have been going since about the time Pharoah freed the Israelites. I always root for Canaan to win gold, because I like their national anthem.
- The most thrilling new Olympic women’s event is the javelina.
- Jeff Dunham and Jeff Foxworthy are both comedians from Russia. Gives new meaning to ‘redneck’.
- Not only did Third Eye Blind write the song ‘Breakfast At Tiffany’s’, they wrote the book too.
- Billy Idol sang at Obama’s inauguration. He sang ‘White Wedding’. Obama had his guys pull the plug on the act mid-song.
- Everyone’s favorite Russian comedian is Vgni-nngtizein. That guy is so funny!
- The Justice League morphed into the United Nations in the 1940’s. I think Aquaman was the original Secretary General.
- Steve Jobs’ first brush with fame was singing on the Star Wars Christmas Album in 1978.
- Oscar winning actor Omar Sharif now packs the house every night doing stand-up in Branson, Missouri.
- The original lyrics of ‘Light My Fire’ by The Doors were “Come and set my house on fire.”
- The girls of Vajiggle Jaggle love themselves some Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos.
- Motley Crue’s last good album was released in 1978, despite the band having formed in 1981.
While you’re waiting impatiently for next Thursday to come around, go to our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Geeks-Who-Drink-Pub-Quiz-At-Canyons-Crown/483388135009881 and ‘like’ us, tag yourself in the pics, talk trash to other teams, whatever. Cheers!