The Canyon's Crown Restaurant & Pub
6958 East Tanque Verde Road
Tucson, AZ 85715
Thursdays: 8:00 PM
View All Posts
Not only did the Canyon’s Crown have a record 22 teams last night, not only did two breweries represent with glassware and shirts to give out to our Quizzers, not only did we have QMs Caribbean Joe and Island Amy in attendance, but our 1st place winners had Jean-Luc’s 1st place winners at Bumsted’s beat by 7 points before I even finished scoring rounds 7 and 8! What a night to be at the Crown!
22 Teams! Keep it up, my friends! Tell your coworkers, your friends, your family, that creepy guy that hangs out in the alley by your house to come join you at Quiz. If we get 18 teams 3 weeks in a row, Geeks Who Drink and the Canyon’s Crown will let me bring on a scorekeeper, which will be nice for all of us. The whole process will be even more of a well-oiled machine than it already is. I’ll be able to go around and take pictures and bother you all while you’re trying to eat, drink, and hit on that hottie at the next table over. Meanwhile, the scoring will also be happening, and I won’t have to do it. Everyone wins.
Special thanks to Deschutes and Dragoon breweries for partying with us and bringing tons of cool goodies like pint glasses and shirts for me to give out. Manifest Destiny Hooker and On Her Majesty’s Secret Cervix got prizes for having my favorite names of the evening. Other prizes were given out for extra bonus questions made up on the spot by yours truly. I finally got to work some death metal into the quiz. One Quizzer with impeccable taste knew that Cannibal Corpse was the band featured in the first Ace Ventura movie, and took home a pint glass. Bonus question winners all took home the usual penny pint, but also got a pint glass to put it in, and a shirt to wear while they drank it. Quite a haul all around.
Also, finally, my other club with the college crowd got the rounds about porno stars’ junk and the audio rounds full of f-bombs, and the family restaurant in the nice neighborhood got the FCC-approved rounds. And there were very few geography or history questions, so I didn’t feel like shooting myself after reading a bunch of terrible answers. Some days, everything just works out.
So, what did we learn last night?
- Some people consider Perrier a pale lager. It doesn’t get much paler than that.
- Alcoholic is not really one of the two categories of beer, because unless it’s Perrier, non-alcoholic isn’t really beer.
- Sarah Palin was not one of the heroes on the visual round. Mostly because she is no one’s hero.
- Despite what the question said, ‘jury-rigged’ is 10 letters, not 9. Kudos to those teams that spelled it with 9.
- ‘Leviticus laws deuteronomy’ is not a complete sentence. Neither is ‘Genesis leviticus exodus’. Exodus is a good band, however. Genesis had a few good songs too.
- Watch for the new cop films ‘Christopher Walken, FBI Agent’ and Police Academy II: Welcome To Doughnut Town’ coming soon to a theater near you.
Well, that’s it for this week. I hope to see all of you next Thursday. In the meantime, go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Geeks-Who-Drink-Pub-Quiz-At-Canyons-Crown/483388135009881 and ‘like’ us, tag yourself in the pictures, and all that good stuff.