At least that was the theory in our Science Four-Play round, and the excitement was palpable. Not even chilly temperatures and barely damp roads could keep away the die-hardiest of die hard quizzers. There was a time that snow in February wasn’t a surprise in Colorado, but our “there’s no such thing as global warming” society has made us forget how to drive on damp pavement, caused a fear of snow on lawns and caused downright terror of temps in the mid-teens. So thanks to all the teams that weren’t afraid to put on a jacket and grow a pair to make it to the quiz! And now that that rant is over, let’s move on to the recap, shall we?
- Round one was a little bit of clever wordplay that resulted in me getting to say "eat me" several times. All in all, a great start to the quiz.
- We once again revisited the hit song, Blinded by the Light” in our audio round. You’ll be interested to know that the song hasn't aged any better since we saw at three weeks ago.
- Round three was all about cities with more than 500,000 people. Many people were very disappointed to find out that Atlanta only had 430,000-ish people. It's like the old saying goes, it's not the size of your population, but how trashy your "Real Housewives" are.
- Round four was “scientific four-play”. I was hoping a science orgy would break out in the middle of the room, but no such luck.
- Our visual round was movies with scenes from pools, lakes and oceans. Please feel free to enter your own "water sports" joke here.
- Round six was all about masked men. We found out that according to the APA, Darth Vader has borderline personality disorder. After hearing this the Lord of the Sith tested the power of his fully operational battle station, and that is the last APA convention they will ever hold on Alderaan.
- Round seven were quotes from some of the American film Institute's favorite lines. I kept waiting to hear Samuel Jackson’s dialogue from “Snakes on a Plane”, but had to settle for Katherine Hepburn in “On Golden Pond”.
- And of course, there was the capper… Round eight and random knowledge. Going into this round we had a three-way tie for first, so your superior knowledge about Monopoly, breakfast cereals, and Oprah Winfrey was a big bonus for you… just like in real life.
Quiz is fun, yes? We quiz again next week. 6:30. Dnote. Pants optional. Until then…