Yep, there it is. It's been a big week in the Geek-osphere, what with all the Olympic badminton drama, a certain homophobic chicken shop, and Kristen Stewart's trampire ways. Plus New Order is doing a small tour of the states. And a fantastic, jam packed quiz at the Dnote where lots of newbies battled it out with veteran quizzers. And lost. But that's ok. To quote Homer Simpson, "It's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get". On to the recap...
- Round One was our ode to the classic game show, "Pyramid". But without Dick Clark. Yes, he's still dead. However it did give me the chance to say some choice phrases like, "I was the hot chick in weird science," and, "Lady Gaga can suck it." Both completely true statements.
- Round Two was pop songs from '81, '91, '01, & '11. Or "Forty Years of Shitty Music" if you prefer. If there was any doubt, I give you a sampling of the actual lyrics to Katy Perry's E.T.
I wanna walk on your wavelength
And be there when you vibrate
For you I'll risk it all
Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
Infect me with your love and
Fill me with your poison
Take me, ta-ta-take me
Wanna be a victim
Ready for abduction
Don't get me wrong Katy Perry. I think I'll still sleep with you, but that song is fu***ng AWFUL. You have to stop collaborating with Kanye. That dude's nuts.
- Round Three was on some pretty funny campaign quotes from the election. In a year where each choice is a bad choice at least we can laugh ourselves straight to hell.
- Finally some good news! It was National IPA Day so we celebrated with a beer themed round. We learned that very few people can spell Anheuser-Busch and Ireland is actually #4 in beer consumed per capita. It's always sad to see a fallen hero. Hopefully it's because they're all drinking Jameson's instead.
- Round five saw Sally Ride in a whole different light. Last night she lived on as Sally Ride - Action Hero. Instead of Sally Ride - Space Lesbian (and yes, I credit that joke to our team from last week).
- Our bonus questions last night were more of an exercise in determination and yelling out "Throw Us A Bone" than any real trivia base. Be that as it may, unless you have psychic knowledge of something I don't, Wyoming and Nebraska are not now, nor ever have been, coastal states.
- In round six, our courtroom round, when you had to name the Lyle Lovett album with it's three word biblical title that made a complete sentence, it had to be a REAL sentence. John Acts Corinthians is not a real sentence. John Acts Gay is, especially in light or recent Travoltin' developments.
- Round seven was our audio round on cop-medies. We learned that no one saw "Another Stakeout". Personally, I blame Rosie O'Donnell. We also visited the Police Academy. Personally, every time I think of that particular series, I'm reminded of the famous quote from Homer Simpson when Bart is caught stealing.
Homer: STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those "Police Academy" movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?
- And finally the random knowledge round. You amazed me with your knowledge of diurnal habits, the Darien Gap and cancer-riddled comic strips. Yeah, I'm talking to you Funky Winkerbean. Congrats to our third place team for an amazing come-from-behind rally. Just for that, I'll give you your own Phamaly link.
Thanks especially for some great team names this week. You never fail to disappoint. Now get back to work before your boss catches you reading this. And put some pants on for Chrissake. Until next week...